Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) successfully obtained MS ISO 9002: 1994 certification from SIRIM QAS International Sdn. Bhd. on 13 December 2001. The certification covers the area concerning the provision of tertiary education, research, consultancy and publication.
In 2003, UUM underwent a transition from MS ISO 9002: 1994 to MS ISO 9001: 2000 and followed by MS ISO 9001: 2008 certification successfully on 11 February 2010. In 2017, once again UUM underwent a transition from MS ISO 9001: 2008 to MS ISO 9001: 2015. The MS ISO 9001: 2015 (Quality Management Systems) is based on three concepts namely;
- The process approach which was introduced in the 2008 version,
- The plan-do-check-action (PDCA) methodology superimposed on that approach, and
- Risk-based thinking – instead of treating risk as a single component in a quality management system, risk is now considered and included throughout the standard, replacing the separate clause on preventive action.
In addition, this certification encompasses the following scope:
- Design and development of the undergraduate education programme,
- Provision of education services for undergraduates, and
- Provision of research, consultancy, publication and library services as well as other support services.